During the Edo period (1603-1868), Shoguns tended to keep feudal lords on a tight leash, requiring them to make bi-annual pilgrimages to the capital in Edo -- now Tokyo -- to swear their allegiance. The road to Edo was called the Tokaido, and on their journeys, the lords were only allowed to stop at government-sanctioned junctures. There were 53 of these authorized rest stops; the town of Arimatsu was number 42.
Photography by Hajime Kimura
Midori Indigo Shibori ScarfSAVE Sold Out!
Linen Indigo Shibori PanelsSAVE Sold Out!
Miura Shibori ScarfSAVE Sold Out!